Wednesday 24 April 2013

Economy Block: Drafting Quilt Blocks

Ah, finally, I have been able to make a quilt block for my 2013 BOM quilt that has the "wow" factor that the String block has. I love this block! The fabric was a fat quarter bundle, "Tulip Festival" by Benartex, which I purchased on eBay (note that I did not use any fabric from my 40 green fat quarter bundle). Was looking for a big enough block to use these tulips in. This block is 17" (17-1/2" unfinished) and I think it worked very well indeed! In the class video, the instructor used background fabric for those corners, but I like my tulips better. And yes, if you look back at my April 22 post, the Offset Log Cabin blocks include a strip of fabric from this collection - the smallest tulip print.
This is the block for March and is called the Economy Block, for reasons unknown. The skill I was supposed to have learned in creating this block is drafting my own quilt block. However, the instructions also gave the measurements for cutting without having to draft it myself. I figured why bother drafting then, if I didn't have to. I am glad for the info, however, and do intend to use it in the future. One of my posts from a couple of days ago shows the book I ordered that was mentioned by the instructor in this class, "The Quilter's Album of Blocks and Borders." Lots of ideas in there that I can use the drafting skills for.

2 comments:

  1. Love the tulips, Laura. Its very interesting to watch your progress here. Not sure that I see the whole plan for the quilt yet. What with all the different size squares, it seems unusual but trust you have a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a sampler quilt, the purpose of which is learning different blocks and techniques, so each block is different. This one is really different because the blocks are different sizes as well. If you look at my April 22 post, "Quilting Book and Colouring Page," you will see the colouring page at the bottom of the post. While I haven't finished colouring it yet, it does give you the suggested layout and an idea of what the final project will look like. I don't think I will bother finishing the colouring because blending colours in Windows Paint takes about as long as creating the actual block. I think I've done enough to know I will be pleased with it when I'm done. This one is just a throw size, so I'm hoping to make it into a quillow (a quilt that folds up into a pillow) for my living room.

    ReplyDelete