Saturday 28 December 2013

One Precious Gift

Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift.
2 Corinthians 9:15

My daughter and I were estranged. I don't really understand why or how and it certainly wasn't my choice. I'm sure there were reasons that made sense to her, but my efforts to make amends fell flat and it was devastating to me. I tried to reach out to reconnect with her, to find out what was wrong, what I could do to mend fences and build bridges, but got nowhere. I have a 15-month-old grandson that I had only seen twice, and that only at my initiative. It was a living grief, probably the greatest grief I have ever experienced. It was soul-deep pain that nothing could relieve. I could only survive by keeping it surrendered to the Lord and asking His help in bearing it.
Then suddenly that all changed. It happened so fast that I'm still having a hard time taking it in. Two weeks ago, my daughter and grandson moved in with me. It was the most precious Christmas gift I could have ever asked for.  I get to see my grandson on a daily basis, to cuddle, to kiss, to play with, to enjoy getting to know and love. I get to be a mother to my daughter again, to support and encourage her through a difficult time of transition. This is a most precious gift and I can never thank God enough.
But there is a gift even more precious, one that is available to you and to me, to everyone. It was given on that long ago day in Bethlehem. It was the gift of God's dear Son, Jesus Christ, who was born in a stable and died on a cross to pay for our salvation.  And that is the most precious Christmas gift of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment