Saturday 22 February 2014

A Different Perspective

Working on my pixel quilt, I felt frustrated and disappointed that it looks more like a random bunch of different coloured squares of fabric than the Bluenose II. I want it to be recognizable. It's a lot of work and I want to be pleased with the results. And then I took a picture of my progress. Looking at the quilt through the camera's lens gave me a different perspective and I could see the development of the clouds and the tops of the sails and I was much happier. Pixel quilts need to be viewed from a distance in order to get the effect of the pixels coming together to form a picture. I only needed the right perspective. 
Our lives can be like pixel quilts. We can be trudging through life, feeling unloved and unsuccessful, a disappointment to ourselves, to others and to God. Sometimes we wonder how we'll ever make it to heaven, because we keep falling and failing. Like the pixel quilt, our lives appear to be a random mess, frustrating and disappointing. It can even lead to disgust and despair. But that is looking at our lives through our own eyes. God has a different perspective. One of my favourite Christian authors (Ellen G. White) writes: "(Christ) knew that the life of His trusting disciples would be like His, a series of uninterrupted victories, not seen to be such here, but recognized as such in the great hereafter." The Desire of Ages , page 679. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't see my life as a "series of uninterrupted victories," But that apparently is how God sees it, because when I am surrendered to Jesus, it's Jesus that is seen, and not me. And He gives me the victory. Zechariah, chapter 3, tells this story: "Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to oppose him. And the Lord said to Satan, 'The Lord rebuke you, Satan! The Lord who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?” Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and was standing before the Angel. Then He answered and spoke to those who stood before Him, saying, “Take away the filthy garments from him.” And to him He said, “See, I have removed your iniquity from you, and I will clothe you with rich robes.” ' (verses 1-4). Joshua represents us. The filthy garments represent our sins, our attempts at doing good, trying to earn our own way to heaven. And the rich robes represent Jesus' righteousness, which He grants to us if we surrender to Him. 
Furthermore, as Ellen White states, "It is not the will of our heavenly Father that we should be ever under condemnation and darkness. There is no evidence of true humility in going with the head bowed down and the heart filled with thoughts of self. We may go to Jesus and be cleansed, and stand before the law without shame and remorse. “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Romans 8:1" The Great Controversy, page 477.
1 John 1: 9 tells us, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
So rejoice! We have a Saviour who loves us, who cleanses us and gives us the rich robes of His righteousness. And makes our lives a series of uninterrupted victories through faith in His name. And that's looking at things from God's perspective.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment