Saturday 8 March 2014

Flowers for Nothing


Recently one of my friends was given two dozen roses by the man in her life. It wasn't her birthday. It wasn't Valentine's Day. It wasn't an anniversary or any other special occasion. It was just because... For no reason, other than that he cares about her and was thinking of her. While I was very happy for her, I couldn't help but feel a little bit envious as well. I only recall one occasion when I was given flowers for nothing, and it made me feel confused and uncomfortable because the giver was not someone I expected or desired flowers from. I've had more than my share of people in my life that are happy to take, but reluctant to give. Or people that give with an ulterior motive. Personally, I like to give gifts "just because." I hope it makes the recipient feel special, acknowledged, affirmed. But I also appreciate it when someone reciprocates as well.
I have to admit that my life, like many people's, can be challenging. I am a very giving person, and work in a giving profession. All too often what I give or do is not acknowledged or appreciated. It would be nice to have someone in my life to give me flowers - or other gifts - for nothing. Just because. 
But wait a minute - don't I get gifts, don't we all get gifts, for nothing, every day? A beautiful sunset, a purring cat, my grandson's smile, a bird's song, fluffy pure white snow, lilacs. They are all gifts from our Heavenly Father just because He loves us. He could have made the world ugly and grey. He didn't have to make flowers of so many varieties and colours. They could have all been fungus. All animals could have been warthogs. But He created this world with variety and beauty. Just because. So, next time you're feeling blue, undervalued, unappreciated, look for the beauty in nature. some serendipity, and know that God has sent you a gift "just because." 
(One of Damian's favourites, and though it's for children, it's a message we all need to remember).

No comments:

Post a Comment